Welcome

I like projects. I love to get laser focused on something, learn everything there is to learn about it and then throw myself in head first. This blog is focused on two projects: my long term dream to thru hike the Appalachian Trail, and my short term dream to live debt free.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Working and Living

Image found here


Happy New Year! I feel so energized about 2011!!! Life is returning to normal after the holiday frenzy.  I have a ton of stuff happening at work (two emergency hearings in two days.... what?) but I feel ready for a busy and productive month. I want to generate more income moving forward.  I know that my attitude really influences my income, either way, up or down. Even working for myself I have found myself spiraling into negative cycles of thought about "having" to do this or that. When you "have" to do something, as opposed to "want" to do something the seeds of resistance gain a little ground.

What if I consciously reject that concept?  What if I embrace the idea of working because I enjoy it? Because it fulfills me? Because I'm blessed to have skills that can drastically impact and assist people with real needs? I do feel all those emotions about my work too, they are no less real than my resentments about "having" to do things.

I've lived in a mindset of "work" being separate from "life" for so long that I can resent work simply because it's not life.  But if I'm pursuing my passion, and I believe I am, and if I'm blessed to have a profession that challenges me and can fulfill me and not just a job, then why are work and life divorced from each other? I think the secret to greater income for me is understanding that my work can be an integrated part of my physical, spiritual and mental life.  The two do not have to be apart.  I'm not suggesting that work/life balance isn't important, but two people on a see saw have a whole lot more fun when they work together than when they are continually trying to jump off and leave the other side flat on the ground.  So here's to living AND working and to empowering myself in all areas of my life with the trust that good things will flow from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment